The Standards Department Coordinator supports the application process of the volunteer committee experts and makes sure all the processes are followed.
- When a person applies to be on a technical committee, the chairperson reviews the application form and resume, and has the authority to accept or reject that application.
- That decision is weighted by the applicant’s relevant technical experience in the subject and depends on the current composition of the committee.
- Each technical committee is required to have a balance of the ANSI/IES approved Interest Categories; these are based on the various lighting industry sectors. This helps to ensure that IES technical standards have a fair representation of interests.
- IES membership is NOT required for application to a technical committee. (If you are not a member of IES, or do not have an account already established, just make sure that you create an IES account [FREE] before submitting the committee application. To do so, please click here.)
- An individual may not serve on more than three technical committees at a time.
Join a Committee/Subcommittee
- The first step is to fill out the application form on the IES website – found here. Once the chair of a technical committee receives the application and provides IES Staff with his or her input, if accepted, the application is then sent to the Standards Department Coordinator, who will make the changes in our database to add participants into the roster.
- Approved applicants will receive a confirmation email to start committee activities and be included in the meetings.
- Review and acceptance of the IES Technical Committee Code of Conduct is required before an application may be submitted.
Committee membership roles
Committee members may be Voting or Advisory.
- Officers are selected by the committee members.
- Officer positions are voting positions.
Officer positions may include:
- Vice Chair
- Task Group Leader (if needed)