The IES has an active calendar that includes multiple opportunities to network and socialize with industry peers. Browse educational courses as well as various society and section events. To keep abreast with our upcoming events follow the calendar below. To save on fees and learn more about the benefits of membership, click here.
- This event has passed.
Webinar: Electric Garden Virtual Tour (Acoustics and Lighting)
March 17, 2021 | 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm EDT$5
A Virtual Studio tour of the Electric Garden Recording Studio, NY
With discussion afterwards by Zackery Belanger (Acoustician | Arcgeometer)
Recording studios are among the most critical acoustic environments, and simultaneously their visual atmosphere is indispensable to the creative process. Both light and sound need to be considered at the highest level, and yet the integration of acoustics and lighting for such spaces is largely unrealized. Electric Garden is a new recording studio in Brooklyn, NY which utilizes innovative integrated acoustic and lighting elements. This presentation will dive into the design of this studio, with attention paid to the integration of lighting and sound. Attendees will learn new approaches to the integration of these two disciplines.
- Attendees will learn about new ways to integrate acoustics and lighting
- Attendees will be able to apply the basic considerations of combining acoustics and lighting.
- Attendees will learn about Electric Garden and benefit from the challenges and results associated with its design.
- Attendees will gain insight into the use of acoustics and lighting on projects beyond recording studios.
Prerequisite Knowledge Required
Attendees do not need a background in either acoustics or lighting to understand the interesting and complex relationship between these two disciplines.
Arcgeometer shapes rooms, surfaces, systems, and objects to enhance their acoustic influence. From the largest dimensions to the smallest fibers and pores, shape matters to sound. Material sets limits on shape – how it holds up under incident sound, and whether it can react to surrounding conditions. Each space and its contents represent a sculptural instance on a continuous spectrum of possibility.
Arcgeometer is a studio based in Detroit, Michigan, USA. We work with architects, designers, manufacturers, artists, and building owners to shape their products and spaces. We develop and refine the intentionally-acoustic, and leverage the intrinsic contribution of the non-acoustic. We consult, design, research, and educate to improve the sound of the built environment by strengthening the connections between acoustics and architecture.
- If you are a student or if the ticket cost is prohibitive, please contact us to find out more ([email protected]).
Raffle: C by GE Sol light *
- $3 raffle
- We will draw a winner before the talk and will make an announcement at the beginning of the presentation.
- Link for info about the lamp
*this raffle is not an endorsement of GE, nor is GE a sponsor of our programming.
Any questions? Get in touch: [email protected]
Keep up to date on the latest IESME information by following us on Instagram and Facebook!