The Illuminating Engineering Society’s Annual Conference provides a range of educational programming—including workshops, seminars, immersive experiences, tours, networking, and paper and poster presentations—on the art, design, science, and research of lighting relevant to lighting professionals, educators, and related design disciplines.
The Technical Paper and Poster Sessions are a wonderful opportunity for researchers to present their work to like-minded people. This year, we have instituted a 2-tier approach to technical presentations, allowing for the option for papers to go through a full peer-review process. Papers presented at the Annual Conference are automatically in consideration for the Taylor Technical Talent Award.
IES Annual Conference Proceedings are published yearly. Downloadable PDFs of the Proceedings from the 2016-2018 are currently available for a free download for all IES members.
Proposals are being accepted for the following Annual Conference activities:
1. Speaker Presentations – (Now Closed)
2. Technical Papers & Presentations – (Now Closed)
3. Posters – Deadline May 6, 2019
Speaker Presentations (60 minutes):
Deadline for Submission is Now Closed. (Deadline was February 15, 2019)
Speaker presentations should be a total of 60 minutes, including introductions and 15 minutes for audience Q+A. Please submit an abstract of up to 700 words. Separately, the following information must be included:
- Authors, their position/title and company name or institution affiliation
- A summary of the design application, research question, or problem addressed in the presentation/paper/poster
- Why this research or application is of interest to the IES Conference attendees
- The method(s) used in the research or solution
- The data that will be presented
- The findings that will be discussed
- Knowledge level for which the submission is appropriate (new practitioners/no prior knowledge required; requires some prior knowledge/experience with the subject; advanced/expert)
- Track with which the submission is best aligned (science, art, application, business building, other)
- Format – panel, single speaker, interactive demo, etc.
Submissions will be forfeited in the event deadlines for completion of entry are missed.
Submitters will be notified regarding the status of their entry by early March 2019.
Click here to submit your Speaker topic. (Please Note: This link will launch a 3rd party platform called Catalyst, which is used by the IES for submissions.)
Technical Papers & Presentations (30 minutes):
Deadline for Submission is Now Closed. (Deadline was April 22, 2019)
Technical presentations should be a total of 30 minutes, including introductions and 5-8 minutes of Q&A. There are two classes of presentations:
- Peer Reviewed Conference Papers (3000 words or less, with a maximum of 10 pages, submitted in the IES Conference paper format).
- Technical Presentations (refereed by 3-page extended abstract which consists of up to 3 pages (maximum 800 Words). Authors are encouraged to include figures in their abstract to convey information on the details and/or findings that will be covered in the paper. No formal paper will be required for technical presentations accepted under this category.
Acceptance decisions will be based on the potential technical quality, originality, impact, and relevance to the conference audience. Papers which have been recently published that would benefit from dissemination to conference attendees through a formal conference presentation or poster are also encouraged.
Only the Peer Reviewed Conference Papers will appear in the conference proceedings. Submitters will be notified regarding the status of their entry by May 15, 2019.
Click here to submit your Technical Paper or Presentation. (Please Note: This link will launch a 3rd party platform called Catalyst, which is used by the IES for submissions.)
Deadline for Submission is May 6, 2019
Posters will be presented in a poster session that is coupled with the manufacturer tabletop session.
Posters will be evaluated for inclusion based on submission of a 3-page extended abstract that consists of up to 3 pages (maximum 800 Words). Authors are encouraged to include figures in their abstract to convey information on the details and/or findings that will be covered in the poster.
Submitters will be notified regarding the status of their entry by May 27, 2019.
Click here to submit your Poster. (Please Note: This link will launch a 3rd party platform called Catalyst, which is used by the IES for submissions.)
Important Submissions Information
All speaker, paper, presentation & poster submissions are handled through the Catalyst platform. If you have any questions regarding the Catalyst Portal, please visit Contact Catalyst Support before contacting IES. If you have any questions regarding your specific submission please contact: Klara Steupert – IES Events Coordinator, email@example.com, 212-248-5000 x4006.
2018 IES Annual Conference
The Proceedings for the 2018 Annual Conference are available here.