This is a full time, NY area based growth position and ideal for anyone in the lighting community who may be interested in supporting the Illuminating Engineering Society’s technical lighting standards development process. Remote/in office work flexibility is available. The Standards Assistant Manager will work with the IES Standards Staff and the IES Technical Committees that maintain the nearly 100 standards in the IES Lighting Library, and assists in outreach and engagement efforts to build stronger committee membership. Involvement with the IES and supporting the efforts to strengthen and expand connections between the most informed people in the lighting industry will help to ensure our standards have the most current and accurate information possible.
Technical Committee Coordination
- Manage technical committee membership changes and integration
- Process incoming applications for approximately 50 different technical committees. Collaborate with the IES Membership Department on non-technical committee application processes, and the IES Emerging Professional Program to integrate new Technical Committee Members.
- Manage committee changes (new members, removals, and status changes).
Provide monthly reports, track changes of membership and interest category balance, and record changes in membership database.
- Provide rosters and interest category balance to committee chairs and coordinate all activities with the Manager of Standards Development.
- Provide quarterly reports for the IES Standards Committee.
- Coordinate technical committee meetings
- Coordinate teleconference meetings for technical committees and attend as requested. Duties when attending include recording minutes and provide updates to the Manager of Standards Development.
- Coordinate in-person general event meetings with attendees, IES staff and events manager. Duties include determining meeting room capacities and A/V equipment requirements, coordinating room assignments and time slots, coordinating food and drink requirements, processing reimbursements for attendees following the event, and being the on-site contact for committee members.
- Maintain meeting schedules and communicate with committee members via website and email blasts.
- Promote IES technical committee membership
- Develop promotional material for new people / organizations to become involved with IES technical committees. Help identify committee needs and assist in making connections to fit those needs.
- Develop material for monthly Standards Bulletin, including writing brief stories on technical committee activities and member quotes on the value of technical committee membership.
Digital Communications and Management
- Technical committee data management
- Utilize databases within the office to manage committee memberships and develop reports as necessary for ANSI documentation, under the direction of the Manager of Standards Development.
- Working with the Standards Department staff, assist in managing efficient and user-friendly tools and protocols for committee member enrollment, engagement, and participation.
- Coordinate tasks with the Research Programs Manager to find and deliver appropriate research to committees for consider in their deliberations.
- Digital Asset Management:
- Coordinate images, photos, charts and graphic materials within the Lighting Library, obtain copyright permissions, and catalog in a digital asset management system.
- Coordinate or modify graphic illustrations with contractors or in-house staff and manage illustration delivery with project schedules to ensure timely completion.
- Coordinate all standards photographs, graphics and illustrations with the IES Technical Editor for final delivery to typeset; track progress and manage new/replaced digital assets as documents are revised.
- Assist Manager of Standards Development in coordinating Standards & Research department activities with the IES Education, Membership, and Publications departments.
- Work on special projects as assigned by the Director of Standards and Research and/or Manager of Standards Development.
- Experience in lighting design, engineering, sales or service are required; applicants must demonstrate fundamental knowledge of the lighting industry and the IES position in developing standards for the industry.
- 3-5 years’ experience in professional office environment, project management and/or human resource management preferred, consistent with job requirements.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an Accredited 4-year program, in a related field.
- High-level efficiency with MS Office Suite of products (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with online database/project management programs preferred.
- Able to conduct, coordinate and keep accurate minutes of online meetings.
- Familiarity with obtaining copyright permissions a plus.
- Able to manage multiple projects and work independently.
- Must be efficient, organized, and resourceful.
- Possess strong communication skills, able to deal with many personalities and have empathy with volunteers with an understanding of their needs.
- Able to maintain timely records and produce clear written and oral reports.
- Flexible and able to function well in fast-paced environment.
- Capacity to inspire and motivate other staff and volunteers, and work effectively as a team member and team leader; successful communicating and interacting with all levels of management and staff, and volunteer committees.
- Non-judgmental approach to people and work.
- Additional Information:
- This position reports to the IES Manager of Standards Development and Director of Standards and Research.
- The position requires coordinating with approximately 12 staff members in the Standards, Research, Education, and Membership departments of the IES.
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package, including generous paid time-off policy, pension contribution, health insurance, etc.
HOW TO SUBMIT If you are interested in being a candidate for this position, please submit a CV and cover letter to [email protected].