Over two years ago the IES hired its first fulltime Director of Education, and much of our focus since has been the creation and dissemination of educational content to increase the value of membership. In an effort to even further our dedication towards lighting education, the IES is now seeking applicants for a Lighting Education Development Specialist position.
Reporting to the Director of Education, the Lighting Education Development Specialist will support in developing and maintaining IES education program activities, project management support, and outreach to support member engagement with IES education activities.
This position will be located at the IES headquarters office in New York City, and requires travel flexibility to meet the job demands.
LIST OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate with IES Standards Department regarding new and updated standards to align educational material with the release of these standards.
- Bring to fruition education materials based on IES standards, including working with standards staff to ensure proper interpretation.
- Work with the Educational Material Review Committee in the review of materials prior to release, and make modifications when required.
- Provide articles and posts, and moderate IES Education Blog and other IES social media sites.
- Work with the Director of Education in developing and producing educational materials for the IES Annual Conference and other events.
- Market to, and collaborate with, other professional organizations to recognize IES Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
- Assist in the development of IES education plan Initiatives, including managing education grant applications, reports, and activities.
- Travel to present and represent IES education to various audiences with a range of expertise and industry segments. Travel is estimated to be 15% of full time employment.
Department Administrative Tasks:
- Assist the Director of Education in department projects and administrative tasks such as preparing reports, presentations, agendas, and meeting minutes.
- Manage Education Department website content; coordinate with website programmer and keep site current with activities and programs.
- Support the standards education materials development process.
- Oversee Continuing Education Units (CEU) registration approval and distribution process.
- Schedule and coordinate in-person committee meetings at conferences, as well as regular remote conference calls and web meetings, and provide coverage for meetings as needed by department staff.
- Coordinates activities between the Education Department and Standards Department for reporting to the Director of Education, Executive Director, and the Board of Directors.
- Supervisory Responsibility: This position has no direct staff supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Required: Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree, with an emphasis on lighting.
- 3-5 years of experience in teaching and developing educational content in multiple platforms to multiple sectors of the lighting industry or a recent graduate from a recognized lighting program.
- Project management experience preferred, consistent with job requirements.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Ability to create educational materials from Standards, research, and other resources.
- Ability to communicate through written and oral presentations.
- High level of experience in PowerPoint and conversion to video or similar.
- High level proficiency with MS Word and Excel.
- High level proficiency with social media communications including initiating and maintaining dialog.
- Able to conduct and coordinate online meetings, such as GoToMeeting
- Able to manage multiple projects and work independently.
- Must be efficient, organized, and resourceful; problem solver.
- Possess strong communication skills, able to deal with many personalities and have empathy with volunteers with an understanding of their needs.
- Self-motivated and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Able to maintain records and produce clear written and oral reports.
- Flexible and able to function well in fast-paced environment.
- Capacity to inspire and motivate other staff and volunteers, and work effectively as a team member and team leader; successful communicating and interacting with all levels of management and staff, and volunteer committees.
- Non-judgmental approach to people and work.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- If you are interested in being a candidate for this position, please submit a CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
- Submit original 20-minute lighting educational material presentation in format of your choice.