IES Standards are consensus based lighting recommendations that rely on research findings from a wide variety of sources. Occasionally, a critical piece of information for setting Standards is either unavailable, or equivocal from previous published research, and a specific research project could solve the issue to yield a stronger Standard. In these cases, the IES provides leadership by advocating for specific research projects for the purpose of Standards development.
We invite any committee who sees a research gap to apply for this grant.
Grants must contain ALL items in the order listed. Applications missing information will not be considered.
Projects will be approved on a rolling basis. Approval is granted by the Board of Directors after review by the Standards & Research Department.
Standard-Specific Research Grant Application
- Letter of Intent
- Full names of submitters (a potential funder, or any combination of committees and co-sponsors)
- Identify confirmed co-funder(s)
- Identify possible additional co-funder(s)
- Identify how the proposed research project falls within at least one of the SRP-16 Strategic Research Goals.
- Refine Knowledge about Lighting and Visual Processes
- Understand the Impact of Light Exposure on Human Health
- Foster the Integration of Lighting into the Holistic Built Environment
- Demonstrate the Value of Quality Lighting
- Identify the Standard(s) involved, the specific item within the Standard(s) that requires research for resolution, and a description of how a single research project could reliably resolve the issue(s).
- Proposed timeline
- Proposed conceptual protocol to demonstrate the ability to resolve the issue, within the timeline.
Please email all requested material as ONE (1) pdf to email@example.com.