The IES Visionary Challenge:
Beyond 2030: What Do You See?
The IES and the lighting industry expect big news in 2020, but how will we keep that momentum going? For the first time, the IES is holding a white paper challenge.
Beyond 2030: What Do You See? imagines what the state of the lighting industry will be in 2030, what our biggest challenges might be during this next decade, and how we should focus our energy in order to continue to move forward as an industry. Selected articles will be published in a limited edition hardcover book.
- Submissions must be single-spaced in 12-point font in Word or pdf format.
- Submissions must include the following:
- Abstract: Maximum 300 words. The abstract must describe the scope and premise of the paper (for example, does the paper cover a specific or multiple topics? Does it focus on design or products? What is the author’s summary conclusion?).
- Article: Maximum 5,000 words. Articles must enunciate a vision of the lighting industry in 2030 and provide insights into the changes anticipated over this decade that lead to that vision. Articles should note trends leading to 2020 that foreshadow the conjectured path(s) culminating in the 2030 vision. Articles may focus on a single topic or be broad-based in describing the overall industry. Tables, graphs, illustrations and photographs are encouraged to demonstrate the ideas and background material of the article.
- References: Citations and references are required for any statement represented as factual or representing current trends.
- There are no limitations of subject content; each person submitting will be allowed a maximum of two articles each on the presumption that they are on separate topics and not repetitive.
- Submissions must include a short biography (up to 200 words) and a headshot (at least 300 dpi, 3×5”).
- The Visionary Challenge will be open to members and non-members.
- Review/Judging: Articles will be reviewed on their appropriateness for the publication and demonstrate an understanding of the topic(s) discussed with references as noted above. Articles may be rejected on the basis of being too commercial and/or having insufficient information to back up the article. Acceptance is the sole purview of the review committee.
- Articles must be sent to email@example.com no later than February 29, 2020. Submissions that do not include all of the required information will not be considered.