August 8-10, 2019
Omni Louisville Hotel | 400 South 2nd St. | Louisville, KY 40202
The Illuminating Engineering Society’s Annual Conference August 8-10, 2019 in Louisville, Kentucky provides a range of educational programming—including workshops, seminars, immersive experiences, tours, networking, and paper and poster presentations—on the art, design, science, and research of lighting relevant to lighting professionals, educators, and related design disciplines. As always, professional education is paramount, with a broad selection of CEU credits available through participation at the conference.
The 2019 Annual Conference will endeavor to bring experiences, education, networking and inspiration together to foster personal and career growth.
We encourage you to make your Annual Conference 2019 hotel and air travel reservations as early as possible in order to take advantage of competitive fares. Room Block closes July 15, 2019.
The conference begins Thursday evening August 8 — Opening Night — with the Illumination Awards Gala, followed by two exciting days of accredited educational programs, networking, skill sharpening, product demonstrations and time to relax and enjoy the camaraderie of your peers, catch up with old friends and meet new people.
The theme for the 2019 IES Annual Conference is Light.Affect / Light.Effect. This expansive theme relates to numerous aspects of how light and darkness affect our vision, health, behavior and experience. The objective of the conference is to provide educational sessions and experiences relevant to the audience of lighting professionals, academics, and peripheral design disciplines. This year’s theme is bringing focus to the powerful interrelationships between light affects and light effects. In addition, the Conference program will also consist of technical papers and posters on a wide range of lighting-related topics.
Proposals are being accepted for the following conference activities:
Speaker Presentations (60 minutes): Deadline for Submission – February 15, 2019
Speaker presentations should be a total of 60 minutes, including introductions and 15 minutes for audience Q+A.
Please submit an abstract of up to 700 words. Separately, the following information must be included:
- Authors, their position/title and company name or institution affiliation
- A summary of the design application, research question, or problem addressed in the presentation/paper/poster
- Why this research or application is of interest to the IES Conference attendees
- The method(s) used in the research or solution
- The data that will be presented
- The findings that will be discussed
- Knowledge level for which the submission is appropriate (new practitioners/no prior knowledge required; requires some prior knowledge/experience with the subject; advanced/expert)
- Track with which the submission is best aligned (science, art, application, business building, other)
- Format – panel, single speaker, interactive demo, etc.
Submissions will be forfeited in the event deadlines for completion of entry are missed.
Submitters will be notified regarding the status of their entry by early March 2019.
Technical Papers & Presentations
(30 minutes, including 5-8 minutes for questions):
Deadline for Submission: March 30, 2019
There are two classes of presentations:
- Peer Reviewed Conference Papers (3000 words or less, with a maximum of 10 pages, submitted in the IES Conference paper format).
- Technical Presentations (refereed by 3-page extended abstract which consists of up to 3 pages (maximum 800 Words). Authors are encouraged to include figures in their abstract to convey information on the details and/or findings that will be covered in the paper. No formal paper will be required for technical presentations accepted under this category.
Acceptance decisions will be based on the potential technical quality, originality, impact, and relevance to the conference audience. Papers which have been recently published that would benefit from dissemination to conference attendees through a formal conference presentation or poster are also encouraged.
Only the Peer Reviewed Conference Papers will appear in the conference proceedings. Submitters will be notified regarding the status of their entry by April 15, 2019.
To be presented in a poster session that is coupled with the manufacturer tabletop session.
Deadline for Submission: April 15, 2019
Posters will be evaluated for inclusion based on submission of a 3-page extended abstract that consists of up to 3 pages (maximum 800 Words). Authors are encouraged to include figures in their abstract to convey information on the details and/or findings that will be covered in the poster.
Submitters will be notified regarding the status of their entry by April 30, 2019.
Papers and abstracts can be submitted here.
The Proceedings for the 2018 Annual Conference are available here.
Illuminating Engineering Society