The Nuckolls Fund for Lighting Education has distributed the highest number of grants and awards in its 31 year history among its 2020 winners. Twelve recipients received a total of $230,000 in chunks ranging from $5,000 to $45,000. Recipients this year were notified by mail as the award ceremony originally set for March 17 at LEDucation in New York was canceled as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Submittals for financial support from the Fund’s programs are judged annually by its Board of Directors. This year, the Board awarded $150,000 to winners of the Milham Catalyst Grant with lesser amounts awarded to winners of the Nuckolls Fund Grant, the Edison Price Fellowship Grant and winners of the Student Achievement Awards.
Milham Catalyst Grants:
- $45,000 to Kevin W. Houser, professor in the School of Civil and Construction Engineering, Oregon State University.
- $35,000 to Sandy Stannard, LEED AP, IALD Educator, professor of architecture at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.
- $35,000 to Sandra Vásconez, LC, MS, IALD Educator, a senior instructor in the Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering at the University of Colorado Boulder.
- $35,000 to Professor Seunghae Lee of Wentworth Institute of Technology, Boston.
Nuckolls Fund Grants:
- $20,000 to the New York School of Interior Design, for the development of a new lighting course, “Health Factors of Lighting and Daylighting,” to be led by Shaun Fillion.
- $20,000 to Carnegie Mellon University, Department of Architecture, “Shaping Light,” developed by Azadeh Omidfar.
Edison Price Fellowship Grants:
- $10,000 to Mejedeh Modarres Nazhad of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro for a summer internship with Available Light in Boston.
- $10,000 to Glenn Shrum from the Parsons School of Design, for a research residency at Aalborg University, Copenhagen, Denmark.
$5,000 Student Achievement Awards:
- Jonas Bellovin Scholar Achievement Award: Andrea Young Fierro, Parsons School of Design.
- Jules Horton International Student Achievement Award: Danah Boabbas, University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Designers Lighting Forum of New York, to John Sloan, Pennsylvania State University; and to Kasia Kozak, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
DEADLINE FOR NUCKOLLS FUND 2021 GRANTS AND AWARDS
Announcement of the 2021 Request for Proposals will be made September 8, 2020. The deadline for receipt of applications for grants and awards for the 2021 Nuckolls Fund is January 11, 2021. Distribution to winners will take place March 16, 2021 at LEDucation, time and place will be announced. For more information, visit www.nuckollsfund.org, or Jeanne Clemente, Fund Administrator, Jeanne.firstname.lastname@example.org.